Monday, September 1, 2008

Jumpstart #1: Kindergarten

I have twin nephews who started Kindergarten last week. It made me think about my days in Kindergarten, oh so many many many years ago! Back in 1963, when I walked to school every day (and home for lunch every day!), could only wear skirts and dresses, when Sears would have their 3 dresses for $8 Back to School sale, when my teacher, Miss Hickey seemed 90 years old and I had my first introduction to my love of arts and crafts.....

Jumpstart your brain this week! Be inspired by this poem! Create a card, scrap page, a 3d item or a plaque!

by Robert Fulghum

Most of what I really need
To know about how to live
And what to do and how to be
I learned in kindergarten.
Wisdom was not at the top
Of the graduate school mountain,
But there in the sandpile at Sunday school.

These are the things I learned:

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life -Learn some and think some
And draw and paint and sing and dance
And play and work everyday some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world,
Watch out for traffic,
Hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder.
You can click on the title to go directly to the page where I found this wonderful poem.

Here is what I came up with!

I really challenged myself. I have been petrified of making an acrylic album, so I challenged myself to make an acrylic plaque with the poem and a picture of my twin nephews and their little brother. I also made a backpack to put some candy in for them!

I think the backpack is a little plain, so I will be jazzing it up a bit. I also have to make two more! I found the instructions here on SCS. Unfortunately, there are no measurements, so I spent most of the afternoon today struggling with my acrylic plaque and then trying to figure out the measurements for the backpack! Before I knew it, the afternoon was gone! I am writing up the measurements and will post them for you later tonight so you do not have to break your brain like I did!! Also...I used little magnets to close the Top and Front Flaps!

Update! Here are the measurements....do not hesitate to email me with questions!

If you want to challenge yourself and think out of the brain-box, be sure to let me know! I would love to see what you come up with, and I will summarize everyone's creations on Sunday! ..and maybe you will get a little something in the mail!

6 comments:

Julia Aston said...

What a great project! I love the acrylic page - now nice that will be for them to have! and how fun is that back pack! I'll be back to find out the dimensions you used - I know how hard it is to figure it out on your own - done that before too!!

thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog!

Diane said...

What a great project Lauri!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Laurie! I love your creations! That acrylic album is sooo cute, and the backpack too! I'm so glad you're doing this! I have so much to do as far as swaps, but I'll definitely be trying your challenges!! Thanks for sharing!!

Carolyn Bounds said...

Gorgeous projects!! I have been wanting to try the acrylic albums too, but they intimidate the heck out of me. One day....

The backpack is wonderful!! Thank you for sharing the dimensions:o) I sooo appreciate it!

Great challenge!! Now, it is time to put on my thinking cap (remember that phrase from kindergarten;o)

Lisa Olson said...

Well what can I say lauri,wow this is an amazing creation. The colours ar fab and cool.
I have just given my blog a makeover hoe u can stop by and take a look.

dpkennedy said...

These are both great projects! I love the backpack-great idea to fill with candy for the kids! Love the album too, great job!

 
Designed by: Ashley @ Hippo Scraps