Monday, October 6, 2008

Jumpstart Your Brain! Support the Troops!

This time of year I always think about our troops away from home during the holidays. I have several activities planned over the next month or two to remember these brave folks and thought I would share in today's challenge! I had a tough time making this card! I did not realize how tough it is to find nice patriotic stamps until I had to shop for some.

I found the background stamp on Rubbernecker Stamps. The Thank You sentiment is an old stamp from my stash. I kept the card pretty simple, with just blue and red matting. I added the start shaped paper clip because I felt like it needed something. The sketch I followed is from Beate's Weekend Sketch Challenge a few weeks ago.

For the inside sentiment, I searched high and low online for a good quote, and finally found this one! I printed it on my computer and matted it in red and blue as well.

Here is what I have planned over the next couple of months and some other places to you get inspiration from!

  • This week, at my place of work, we are collecting and sending candy and treats over to the troops through the Adopt-a-Platoon organization! We are also going to be sending this card, along with some blank cards for the troops to use to send back home.

  • Next month, through the Parrothead Club of Connecticut, we are doing a day of card making to send blank all-occasion cards over to the troops. I am in charge of prototypes...guess I should get going on that!

  • Gina K is doing a very generous give away for folks to send along cards for the holidays.

  • SCS is continuing their Cards for Troops campaign as well! The cards we make with the Parrothead Club are going to this program.

In addition to the troops, there are lots of other causes where you can send cards! I found that I was making lots of cards earlier this year but not sending them all out, so I joined a couple of organizations that have helped give a home to some of my cards! Audrey's Umbrella, Senior Angels and Chemo Angels are just three and there are links over on the right side of my blog!

Pat (Rubber Maid) and Bela also do Cards 4 Kids! Another great organization! Check them all out!


10 comments:

Lisa Olson said...

Lauri what a fantastic card.. absolutely love the sentiment how true!!! Pop over to my blog there is a little some thing ther for you.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea and a fantasic card!! TFS!

Macpurp said...

This is a beautiful card and what great causes you support xx

Barbara said...

This is a touching card and you can count me in on sending cards to the troops, also.

specialcraftmom4 said...

Great card!!!

Diane said...

Super nice card Lauri! Those are all wonderful support groups indeed!

Jamie Martin said...

Great patriotic card! You found some nice stamps to use :)

Julia Aston said...

Thanks for all the contacts of places to send cards - this is just lovely with the BG stamping and cute star clip - the sentiment is perfect.

Jennifer Love said...

Gorgeous! And that sentiment is perfect! PERFECT!

And GET OUT! I'm a parrothead, too. It is how I met my husband. hehehe!

Jean Marie said...

wonderful card!and such a thoughtful idea! the troops need all the support they can get from home!

 
Designed by: Ashley @ Hippo Scraps