Saturday, July 25, 2009

Dear Santa, I can explain....


Today I am participating in the Just Add Glitter and Stir Christmas in July Blog Party! I think this is a great idea....I am always up for thinking about the holidays! Especially because is usually means baking! I have a feeling my mini-party here will be tame compared to some of the other ones in the list, so be sure to stop by Maggi's blog and check them all out! I hear there are even some giveaways along the way!

I am celebrating Christmas today with three Christmas recipe cards. Be sure to check out the Scrapbook at your Store Recipe Challenge Blog too! I just got a package of goodies from Julie and I am so excited to start showcasing her products on my recipe cards! I am using Julie's challenges to put together a scrapbook of recipes for my daughter, and these are among the first I wanted to get done.

For me, Christmas is all about the baking! Even in the summer, when I bake cookies, or smell cookies baking in my kitchen, I immediately think of Christmas. I am sharing three of my favorite cookie recipes today, all of which are cookies from my childhood.

I love this sentiment from Scenic Route, and it feels so appropriate for a Bourbon Ball recipe card (picture is from Confections Bakery).



Dear Santa, I can explain...

This recipe was given to me from my mother, and she taught me how to make them using Wild Turkey 110 proof whiskey. Needless to say, I was quite popular in college around the holidays when I made these for all my friends.




And then there are the chocolate crackles...very chocolately, very very good...especially when they are warm!


I like to dust these with confectioners sugar. Makes a great addition to a cookie tray! Here is a photo from The Beet Goes On.




Last, my personal favorite. A recipe that was handed down through my family, and I have the original recipe written in my mother's handwriting..that makes it very special to me. I love love love these cookies! Wonderful with a cup of tea.


I have been known to eat these for breakfast. They are so so good! Here is a picture, from Food on the Food.



Well, I wish I could tempt you with an actual tray of baked cookies, but time was not on my side this week! Plus...I would have eaten too many...so enjoy this selection of virtual cookies!

Have fun with all the other blogs in the party! If you need to go back, just head over to Just Add Glitter and Stir and you will find a list of Christmas partier-s on her sidebar!

35 comments:

Traci said...

I love how you made those recipe cards. I also cannot wait to try your cookie recipes. I am all about baking too!

debra@dustjacket said...

Merry Christmas in JULY

The bourbon balls cracked me up!

xxx DJ

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas in July!!!! Wonderful recipes :-)

Jocelyn said...

Merry Christmas!!!! Oh my I am drooling for some of those awesome cookies!!!! :)

Kara said...

Merry Christmas in July!

great recipes!

permanentcloud said...

these are totally awesome-sounding cookies! and i love the recipe cards!

merry christmas in july to you!

Ann said...

Fabulous and oh so yummy!

Marie said...

Those cookies look so scrumptious! Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Bourbon balls, YUMMMM!!! Great recipes-and the cards are gorgeous they are written on so the cookies must be scrumptious!
Merryyy Christmas!!!!
xoxoxo Rhonda Roo

Maggi said...

HO HO HO!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I came in from the warm and sun,
To find that Christmas has begun!

lol Those bourbon balls look so yummy! And I love your recipe cards and the "Santa, I can explain". LOL

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Rest of Your Year!

Anonymous said...

LOVE those recipe cards, fantastic!!!

Michelle said...

Merry Christmas in July, Lauri!

Those are THE most adorable recipe cards I have ever seen let alone the recipes on them! I like the look of those Gilettes. :) I have tried my hand at paper crafts but I'm just not that good. Lol!

Isn't this Christmas in July party just fabulous?!

Have a great day and Merry Christmas. :)

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas in July! Just stopping by from Maggi's. These recipe cards are great! :)

<3 Gina

Stephanie said...

I love your recipe cards...this is my next big project - I've bought everything I need, but I just haven't started it yet! Thanks for bringing on some hunger pangs :)

Molly Anne said...

Everything looks so yummy!

Chocolate crackles are probably my favorites - my neighbor makes them and I can't wait to get a plate of them from her.

Merry Christmas in July!

Debbie Corbari said...

OMG Lauri...those last cookies of yours are my husbands FAVORITES! His italian babysitter used to make them for him when he was a kid...we call them Rosettes. I think they are DELISH and LOVE them with coffee. LOL! I'm a big fan of chocolate crackles too and make them every year at Christmas!!! I'm gonna have to try your bourbon balls now...you've got some great taste sistah!

LOVE your cards too! You ROCK!

Eileen said...

I really love those recipe cards you made. And my family always made those chocolate crackle cookies, too! Merry Christmas in July! Stop by for a visit anytime - the door is always open!
~Bella

Unknown said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing those recipes!

Printersdevil said...

Wonderful CIJ party. I am finally getting to make the rounds. I did a quick check on my party and visited with guests there, so please excuse me if I missed you. I will be back home later to mingle some more. Right now, I am trying to fit in all the blog parties. This is such fun!!!!!

Merry Christmas in July from Texas!

I enjoyed all your recipes. I bet your bourbon balls sometimes went a little light on the bourbon during the college days!

The recipe cards are fantastic. TFS

Jean Marie said...

To funny..LOL.. love your Recipe cards!! Beautiful work!!

I was so happy to see the Chocolate Crackles recipe...I have not had those in years!!! TFS!!

Daniella said...

Great recipe cards, thanks for sharing them!!

HiHo said...

the cards are so pretty.Now I'm ready for dessert...well if it is really Christmas I get lots of dessert, right??? Merry, merry. heidi

Bananastamper said...

Fun recipes, and fun layouts! Ummmm....
shanna

yyam said...

I love your recipe cards! Merry X'mas!

That Crazy Ajumma said...

Love the pages and the recipes!!
Merry Christmas!

laterg8r said...

love the balls! of course you were popular! love the LO too, with the ornament in the martini glass - merry christmas in july :)

GypsyFox said...

I heart this post, I'm adding you to my toolbar, I HAVE to try thrse recipes! Merry Xmas in July honey!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

My kind of cookies! Calorie free.

hayleycreates said...

Your recipe cards are just gorgeous! Very inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing them. Merry Christmas in July to you!

JANN said...

Your cookie recipes was wonderful, they all made me so hungry. I have never made Christmas cookies but the bourbon balls sounded good - but with the Creme de Ment , I am not much of a drinker but these does sound so yummy, Had fun visiting your holiday blog -
GOD bless all

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Love the recipes cards,Everything was just grand.I had a ball.Thank you so much...Marie Antionette

Scrappy Girl said...

Everything looks yummy and I love all your cards...you are a very talented lady!

Tee said...

"I have been known to eat these for breakfast".

You are my kind of girl! (And very talented).

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Hi,
Your recipes sound delis & the cards are beautiful. I'm still visiting parties and you are invited to visit mine.Merry christmas in July!
~Myrna

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

This was really a fun blog hop!

We make the Chocolate crackles as one of our Christmas cookies every year :o) I definitely want to try your other treats!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting :o)

I am still trying to catch up with all the blog reading missed in just one week!!!

Blessings & Aloha!

 
Designed by: Ashley @ Hippo Scraps